Stan Weatherall R.A.F.

Stanley Gordon Weatherall 

18.7.1922 – 6.1.2005

When Stanley (always called Stan) left school at the age of 14 his first job was as an apprentice barber. As a boy he was a member of 284 ATC Squadron, based in Cheadle, and where local lads were encouraged to enlist. At the start of WW2 his call-up papers arrived – but his mother hid them from him because she didn’t want him to go, and only let him have them at the last minute. He trained as a Radio Operator for the RAF at Cranwell, later serving in Belgium, Holland, Germany and France.

Stan Weatherall_web

Whilst based near Hamburg he and some friends acquired the flag belonging to Quickborn Football Club and he brought it back to England. Years later, in the 1970s, Stan returned to Hamburg to return their flag. There was an article in the local paper, and they presented him with a plaque of Hamburg at a special Reception.

He was married to Della from 10th April 1951 until she died on 3rd February 1997 and had two daughters, Lesley (born on 12th June 1952) and Alison (born on 4th March 1955).

Among his hobbies were stamp collecting and photography. He enjoyed playing golf and was a member of Fairfield Golf Club initially and latterly Marple where he scored a hole in one at the 10th hole and received a Club tie for his achievement!  Unfortunately, Dad had to give up his golf due to his failing eyesight. From then on he threw himself into various organisations, including The Cheshire, the RAFA, The Normandy Veterans Association and the Royal British Legion. He did a lot for Poppy Day; each November his house was deluged with poppy boxes.  He was still collecting in the last year of his life at the age of 82. He loved going to the Normandy Veterans meetings and his favourite one was to Normandy where, on one occasion he got lost and was the only one of the group to see the Bayeux Tapestry.

He attended the local Blind/Deaf Centre where he learnt Braille, and then Moon.  He was diagnosed with leukemia shortly before a trip to Blackpool in early December 2004 but was able to enjoy Christmas and see in 2005 before passing away peacefully on 6th January.

The Stockport NVA have a local connection with a wartime airfield (named B3) located at St Croix sur Mar, near Juno beach, and his ashes were scattered there during a pilgrimage by the Stockport veterans in June 2005.